mercredi 27 juillet 2016

New Tomb Raider Film Is a 'Fresh,' 'New' Take on Lara Croft


Tomb Raider is slated for a March 16th, 2018 release date.

Alicia Vikander will soon be taking on the mantle of Lara Croft, and she promises her version won't be too similar to the Angelina Jolie films that came out in the early '00s.

The 2018 film she'll be starring in is inspired by Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics' 2013 reboot of the franchise, Tomb Raider. That game, and its 2015 sequel Rise of the Tomb Raider, offered a new origin story for Lara and established her as a more well-rounded character. The 2018 Tomb Raider movie will similarly seek to differentiate itself from the Jolie-starring films that came before it.

"The difference is that you clearly see from the previous games and what they were aiming on making as a difference, with making it a bit more of an origin story," Vikander told IGN while she was promoting her new film, Jason Bourne. "That is something I think that we’re trying to have as our main thing, to show the journey of becoming what we know her as: Lara Croft."

Vikander couldn't get into specifics about how similar or not her Tomb Raider film would be to Crystal Dynamics' take on the story, but she did promise it would be different from the previous films. Her excitement extends beyond just telling a new take on a classic character, though, as she's a big fan of the franchise.

"For me, Tomb Raider is about the excitement of working on a project with a female character that I again in one way have a relationship with. I played the game when I was a kid. I was running around in that house and jumping in the pool and doing all the action -- and then of course Angelina Jolie made her into an icon with her films," Vikander said. "That was also something that I thought of when I first heard that they were going to make a Tomb Raider film, and then I found out that they were going to make a film based on the rebooted game from 2013. I think what we’re now going to do is we’re aiming to do something very fresh and something new that can stand on its own two legs."

Even though her roles in Jason Bourne and Tomb Raider mark a shift into blockbuster action films, Vikander isn't leaving her indie roots behind.

"To be able to work with Paul Greengrass, as a director I looked up to, and Matt Damon and one of my favorite franchises was not a big question for me when I was invited. I was just very humble toward that fact. And then taking on Tomb Raider is such an excitement, but it’s never been an intentional shift," she said. "I’m right now shooting a film. I’m going back to the Faroe Islands to wrap up a film with Vin Wenders, who is a director that introduced me to art house movies in Europe when I was growing up. And then I’m producing a small film in Europe in the late summer which is another much much smaller independent film."

Jason Bourne hits theaters on July 29th. Tomb Raider is slated for a March 16th, 2018 release date.

Terri Schwartz is Entertainment Editor at IGN. Talk to her on Twitter at @Terri_Schwartz.

IGN Logo

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire