vendredi 24 mars 2017

7 Things We Love AND Hate About Breath of the Wild


Everyone's a critic!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece of open-world design and interconnected systems. And while there's a lot of love about it, that doesn't mean everyone is crazy about every little thing!

We asked several members of the IGN staff who've leaped headfirst into Hyrule what their favorite, and least favorite, moments in Breath of the Wild are after many hours spent adventuring. Here are seven things we love and hate about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

What's up With That Voice Acting?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is AWESOME, but that voice acting... man. It's not-so-awesome. Many of the line readings feel rushed and cramped, and almost everyone feels like they're simply 'playing a character.' They don't sound natural, or realistic. I don't want the Zelda team to give up, though. I'm firmly in the camp that thinks it's time for Link to talk. But hopefully their next attempt improves over what we got in Breath of the Wild. -- Justin Davis, Executive Editor

Climb Every Mountain!

The ability to clamber up, around, and over every surface in Breath of the Wild's open world adds a (literal) new dimension to exploration that makes each landmark interesting. Peaks, rock columns, trees, ruins -- most have a surprise at the top, if you can figure out how to get there. From your new perch you can survey the region for the next cool spot and soar off. Climbing is Zelda's biggest breakthrough, and hopefully its main contribution to future open-world games. Except when it rains. Then you'll just have to wait it out. -- Samuel Claiborn, Managing Editor

5 Items or Less...

Breath of the Wild is consistently incredible but the thing I HATE the most is the fact you can only hold five items in your hands at one time. That’s insane to me! Express checkout lanes have a greater item limit than Link does. You’d think the Hero of Time might be able maintain a grip on at least half a dozen objects at any one time. Let’s say if for some reason I want to drop the 300 apples in my inventory. Do you know long it’s going to take me to drop 300 apples using Link’s tiny embrace? Me either, because that’s a stupid amount of time that could be spent doing literally anything else. -- Brandin Tyrrel, Editor

Weapon Durability Is the Best!

I know I'm kind of alone on this one, but I really love the inventory management and weapon durability. I like choosing which of my weapons to use against certain enemies, and consciously saving my most powerful items for some of the more overwhelming encounters, like Lynels. The constant decision making that comes with weapon durability really appeals to me, to the extent that I wouldn't cash in the Korok seeds I collected, even though Hestu is my favorite character! -- Alanah Pearce, Associate Editor

No, No. Weapon Durability Is the Worst.

The Legend of Zelda has always been about the awesome weapons Link has at his disposal. While that's still the case in Breath of the Wild, I wouldn't waste your time getting too attached to anything. It's just going to break. That shiny light up Guardian sword? Yeah, it's gonna break. Love that awesome Knight's Shield? Yeah, it's gone. And forget about clubs, your inventory is going to be filled with them. And, good thing, because they're about as strong as an overcooked spaghetti noodle. -- Mark Medina, Video Editor

Those Lovable Weirdos...

There are so many things I love about Breath of the Wild, but I truly feel that the game’s unsung hero are actually its heroes — the lovable weirdos that populate every nook and cranny of Hyrule. I’m in awe of just how unique, eccentric, and memorable nearly every NPC is throughout the game. From a couple of ageless scientists and that chubby little maraca-lover Hestu, to evil ninja obsessed with bananas and a couple dozen men, women, and critters who all seem to want to jump Link’s bones, I find constant enjoyment in interacting with Nintendo’s motley crew. -- Marty Sliva, Senior Editor

What's up With All Those Horny Hyrulians?

I couldn't help but notice that the game's population is full of some really horny Hyrulians. Everywhere Link goes, people are blushing at him and flirting with him. To bestow their upgrade blessings, the Great Fairies even poke and kiss him. No! Link already has a girl! Her name is Zelda, she's the princess, the game's title — maybe you've heard of her? If you're that thirsty, head over to Lake Hylia. -- Joshua Yehl, Editor

Cooking up a Storm!

There is so much I love about Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but one of my favorite things to do is cook. I enjoy being creative with my ingredients and cooking up powerful meals and elixirs. I’m able to give myself the upper hand whenever I approach enemies by popping open my inventory and devouring one of the delicious looking Sneaky Skewers I’ve made. They never see or hear me coming! Plus, those cooking sound effects are the best. -- Kathleen Luevano, Video Project Manager

Seriously. Enough With These Dang Ancient Orbs!

Honestly, WHO'S taking those orange glowy orbs out of their spots near Shrines and throwing them like 8,000 feet away from where they're supposed to be? Why am I the one carrying these back? There's like 18 giant, strong Moblins just gallumping right next to these things? Can't one of them pick it up? Do I have to do everything around here? I HATE CARRYING THESE DANG ORBS! -- Brandon Hunt, Associate Video Producer

Rain, Rain... GO AWAY!

My least favorite thing about Breath of the Wild is how often it rains. It seems like every time i'm trying to climb something arduous it starts raining, and the lightning starts coming down, zapping me, and I fall 200 feet down, sometimes to my death, and then suddenly the sun comes out. It's soul crushing. -- Josh Mobley, Video Editor

You're Never Lost, You're Just Somewhere Else!

My favorite part about Breath of the wild is, despite the immense size of the map, you never feel lost. Previous Zelda games are so linear that anytime you get stuck there isn’t really anywhere else you can go. In Breath of the Wild, the world is so full and populated with things to do, even if you’re confused about where to head next, you’ll find a ton of enemies, shrines, or koroks on the way there. -- Cheyanne Galinto, Syndication Analyst

Not-So-Social Media...

The greatest joy I've found in my time with Breath of the Wild has been swapping stories with my fellow travelers. Learning about new, exotic locations or enemies by word of mouth or hearing about the different ways other people have tackled shrines or dungeons is every bit as exhilarating as my own discoveries. That's why it's so disappointing that I can't share the photos that I've taken with the in-game camera, especially considering the Switch has a share button right there on the left Joy-Con. The breathtaking vistas and goofy selfie options are fantastic, but what's the point if I can't share them with my friends? Yeah, I could screen-grab a lot of stuff (and I do) but given the camera is so readily available, it feels like a missed opportunity. -- Zachary Ryan, Features Producer

That Incredible Sense of Scale!

My favorite thing about Breath of the Wild is how the sense of scale changes. One minute you're helping a random traveler find ingredients for a specific meal or spending time with all of the dogs. The next you could be having epic battles with guardians or crazy big bosses. And that changing sense of scale makes it constantly exciting for me. -- Barrett Courtney, Video Editor

Interchangeable Boss Encounters...

One small gripe I have about Breath of the Wild isn't so much the dungeons as much as the bosses. I'm happy they managed to not rely so much on using a gimmick you recently picked up, but these incarnations didn't really feel like they stood out all that much. Maybe it was the floaty formlessness of their design, or that they seemed largely interchangeable with one another — but I missed the scene-stealing presence of larger than life bosses like Bongo Bongo, Koloktos, Stallord, and the like. -- Brendan Graeber, Editor

What are some of the things you really love or hate about Zelda: Breath of the Wild? Cant think of anything just yet? Then head over and check out our list of 100 Little Things in Zelda: Breath of the Wild That Will Blow Your Mind!

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire