lundi 27 mars 2017

MLB The Show 17 Review in Progress


The great ol' ballpark's been renovated.

Since receiving a final copy of MLB The Show 17, I’ve put in about 15 hours playing games and exploring the different modes. While a full review is coming later this week, I can say that this year’s version of the game is already impressing me.

The expectations are set high early, with a surprisingly good opening video; it’s definitely worth watching at least once. From there, the menus have been given a fresh look. They continue to be easy to navigate and put the stuff used most often right up front.

In-game, lighting looks like it has been improved, even after the attention it has received over the past few years. Day games are especially vibrant. I continue to be impressed by the MLB The Show 17’s ability to communicate the time of day and year based solely on changes in the sky and lighting.

Hit variety is much improved. Floating line drives, spinning grounders, and wind-blown fly balls look and act very realistically.

Also noticeable are a bunch of new animations. For instance, fielders no longer take robotically precise routes to the ball. I’ve seen outfielders get a poor jump on a fly ball, then compensate and make a great catch. I’ve also witnessed a fielder close in too quickly to the ball, only to watch it skip to the wall for extra bases. These animations are very subtle sometimes, but noticeable if you’ve been a regular fan of the series.

Add to these new animations a large increase in hit variety, and you’ve got a really authentic looking and playing baseball game. Floating line drives, spinning grounders, and wind-blown fly balls look and act very realistically.

New MLB Network broadcast elements also increase the authenticity. One particularly neat aspect is Showtrack, a stat-driven overlay that appears on some replays. For example, I hit a long home run and was treated with the path of the ball, exit velocity, hang time, and distance. It looks exactly like something you’d see on TV while watching a game. If there’s one complaint regarding the presentation of MLB The Show 17, however, it’s that the transitions reveal some framerate issues. To be fair, these are the only performance hiccups I’ve seen so far, playing on a regular PS4 and standard HDTV.

During one game Harold Reynolds described both starting pitchers by using the same exact lines.

The MLB Network stuff also brings new commentary, thanks to on-air personalities Harold Reynolds and Dan Plesac. Initially, I felt that there wasn’t a lot of connection between long-time announcer Matt Vasgersian and the new guys. Their lines seemed to exist in a vacuum. But as I’ve played more, I’ve started noticing more conversational exchanges between the three. Vasgersian still dominates as the play-by-play guy, but both Plesac and Reynolds offer timely and accurate information. There seems to be a new focus on explaining batters’ past performance against each pitcher, which is neat.

Unfortunately, I’m already noticing some repetitive lines of dialogue. In fact, during one game Harold Reynolds described both starting pitchers by using the same exact lines. With a limited amount recorded content, repetition is something that will likely be more noticeable the more I play. Still, this is probably the best team of broadcasters The Show has had, thanks to their fresh and interesting dialogue. They simply bring the feel of real TV baseball onto the PS4.

The new additions have increased the game’s authenticity and motivated me to keep playing.

The three main modes of play return: Road to the Show (RTTS), Franchise, and Diamond Dynasty. RTTS contains one of my favorite new additions so far: the entire career mode is now framed as though it is a baseball documentary. An off-screen narrator describes the important locker room decisions your player will have to make. I haven’t been given any significant choices yet beyond responding to a career game, but I’m excited to see how these crucial decisions play out. The entire concept of a camera crew making a film about my player is novel and interesting.

Franchise mode is relatively the same as last year, but I really like the new “Critical Situations” feature. While simming, if something big is about to happen, the game will pause and allow you to take control. So far, I’ve been given chances to walk off a game in extra innings, close out a tight contest, and try to complete a batter’s cycle. This feature should allow users to get through more seasons without missing the big moments.

As for Diamond Dynasty, the core components of this card-based mode remain intact. The goals and reward system have been tweaked, with more ways to earn XP and currency throughout the game. In fact, for a new user the number of options might be a bit overwhelming. For me, I am excited by the promise of timed events with specific entry requirements. Hopefully, these events will give life to the variety of cards that typically never make it into my starting lineup.

I am really liking what I have seen of MLB The Show 17 so far. The new additions have increased the game’s authenticity and motivated me to keep playing. Check back later this week for my complete, scored review once I can get more time with the game’s multiple modes and stress test the online servers.

Caley Roark is a contributor to IGN. Talk baseball with him on Twitter at @CPRoark.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire