mardi 11 juillet 2017

Why Warren Spector Isn’t Interested in AAA Gaming's Future


"I think you're seeing immense creativity on the indie side."

Warren Spector, the creator of Deus Ex and designer of Epic Mickey, isn't especially interested in the future of AAA games. Instead, he's drawn to the creativity found in the indie space.

"I kinda don't care about the future of AAA gaming," Spector said on the latest episode of our monthly interview show IGN Unfiltered. "I think the costs are so high, the teams are so big, the risks are so great that we're seeing an awful lot of same old, same old with prettier pictures. That's a little reductionist, I know, but I don't see a lot that interests me in the AAA space."

Spector went on to note that at events like E3 and GDC, he instead spends the majority of his time checking out games from independent developers. IGN asked Spector if he's seen Cuphead, given Spector's longtime love of Disney cartoons and Cuphead's 1930s Steamboat Willie-esque aesthetic, to which he replied, "Of course I've seen Cuphead! I can't wait for Cuphead." He added, "I think you're seeing immense creativity on the indie side, and in that sense things are way better than they used to be."

He also highlighted how the rise in independent development has lowered the barrier of entry for anyone who wants to make a game. "There didn't used to be an indie scene and now there are so many ways to make a game, there are so many ways to reach an audience with that game, that anybody can make the game of their dreams," Spector said. "I got the opportunity to make Deus Ex, which was my dream game, but that's because I was the luckiest guy on the planet. Nowadays, one person in a garage can be [Minecraft creator Markus] Notch [Persson]."

Spector is now working as the creative director on System Shock 3 at OtherSide Entertainment. For an early look at the project, check out this batch of concept art for the game.

Stay tuned for our full interview with Spector, when this month's episode of IGN Unfiltered goes live tomorrow.

Alex Osborn is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter and subscribe to his YouTube channel.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire