lundi 17 avril 2017

Carrie Coon's Fargo Heroine 'Just Doesn’t Know the Rules'


"The case isn't adding up the way she's expected."

Carrie Coon has enamored TV viewers for three seasons as Nora Durst on The Leftovers, and now she's about to do the same in Fargo: Season 3.

This new year of the FX anthology series jumps forward in time to 2010, and introduces Coon's police chief Gloria Burgle as our central hero, like previous years' Molly and Lou Solverson. She's a woman who feels invisible, who is so out of sync with technology that there's a running gag where objects like automatically opening doors don't respond to her presence. She's struggling with her personal life when she finds herself caught in a murder investigation of a killing that, in true Fargo fashion, went horribly awry.

Carrie Coon as Gloria Sturgle on Fargo

Carrie Coon as Gloria Burgle on Fargo

While on the set of Fargo: Season 3, I sat down with Coon to talk about what Gloria brings to Fargo and how she's going to surprise people this season when it premieres Wednesday, April 19th. Read the full interview below:

IGN: What sets Gloria apart from the Mollys and Lous of the previous two seasons?

Carrie Coon: Because of the circumstances Gloria finds herself in at the beginning of the season, she's almost the least Minnesota nice cop that we’ve had, because she has a lot of pressure on her, and she has a lot less patience for people right now than she normally would have. Because we meet her in survival mode, she's operating in a different headspace than any of those previous iterations. She's still practical, but she’s a little bit less tolerant than those other characters, I think.

IGN: It sounds like she’s our character who's on the case, figuring out what’s going on.

Coon: Absolutely, she's definitely that. It's very consistent from the previous seasons. It's also this interesting idea that the case isn't adding up the way she's expected. I love that she's desperate to have purpose and to make everything make sense, and it's just not coming together, and that struggle is really central to the season.

IGN: How do Gloria's personal life and her struggles as a single mom and someone who's been recently divorced inform her character during this case?

Coon: We kind of meet her in a bit of a low point in her life. Every encounter she has going forward -- specifically with this character with Winnie Lopez (Olivia Sandoval) -- Gloria, because of the circumstances she's thrust into, I think if she had her choice she would retreat and be a little isolated. She's really struggling to get outside of herself, and around her she's feeling really invisible. She's watching her son and these people disappearing into their cell phones, and she's having that experience where nothing's really working for her. She feels like she's not seen.

And of course as a woman of a certain age, she's recently divorced and she's going to have to eventually put herself back out there if she's going to want some companionship, and the world just feels super intimidating to her right now. She just doesn't know the rules. I love that Noah has put her on that very personal journey. We watch how does Gloria learn to become fully expressed in this world that doesn't operate in the way she's accustomed to.

IGN: As you're talking about these things, you're getting visibly excited. What appeals to you so much about Gloria?

Coon: I am! Gloria’s very familiar to me. I grew up in a small town [Copley, Ohio]. My family's been in this town since the 1800s. My dad ran a family business on Copley Circle. It was a family auto-parts store, and he knew everybody in the community, and it just feels very familiar to me. Also, I would argue, my people are not fully expressed people. They're quite stoic. They don't want to complain about anything. They don't believe in therapy — they think it's an indulgent waste of time. My family's motto in trying circumstances is "We’ll handle it," and then we all laugh. But that's kind of the attitude.

IGN: So it sounds like you're channeling some family members then.

Coon: Maybe not so literally, but it's absolutely an ethos I understand and relate to. And also, frankly, the technology I have found completely overwhelming. When I went to my audition for Gone Girl in LA, it was my first time I had ever gone to LA. I didn't have a smartphone, and I had to rent a TomTom. So here I was, this 20-something, 30-something person driving around with a TomTom; people thought I was insane. And I didn't have a television in grad school. Here I was in acting school without a TV. I didn't have Internet; I had to walk to the library to get Internet when I was in grad school. It was kind of lovely -- in fact, I walked there one day and the library had been torn down and I had to get Internet in my apartment because my library was gone. And I read a lot of books and I sort of lament the end of literacy, and so I feel very personally connected to Gloria in that sense.

IGN: It does feel like technology and the struggles surrounding technology are a big part of this season. How does that differentiate this Fargo season?

Coon: I'd say that technology's a big character, but also Noah has chosen to set it at a time before we even understand the implications of that technology. So in some ways, I feel that in 2017 we can look back on 2010 with some nostalgia because it hadn't really overtaken us yet. We just had the sort of tickle of something really big shifting. I think Gloria has a bit of sixth sense about that change coming, and she's not so sure it's a good thing for her son, for her community, for herself and for the world at large. Whereas people are touting it as this new form of connectivity, she feels actually like it's quite isolating. We find a woman moving the world feeling invisible, and I think a lot of us can relate to that struggle. Even though we have all these Facebook friends, the reason we're on it is because ultimately we feel invisible.

IGN: What do you think is going to surprise people most about Fargo: Season 3?

Coon: I just think the world Noah is building, we diverge from this world in a way that I don't specify, but it just takes us in a completely different environment than we've ever been in before. I love the boldness of that choice. I just find Noah's imagination is such a wild and exciting playground to be in, and I don't even know the ending yet, and I just can't wait to read [the finale].

Terri Schwartz is Entertainment Editor at IGN. Talk to her on Twitter at @Terri_Schwartz.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire