samedi 5 août 2017

Why Twin Peaks Is Gwendoline Christie's Favorite TV Show


"I thought I was going to pass out when I met Kyle MacLachlan."

Gwendoline Christie might be a part of two of the biggest franchises on the planet -- Star Wars and Game of Thrones -- but that doesn't stop her from geeking out about the properties she has always been a huge fan of. Case in point: Twin Peaks.

It turns out Christie has been obsessed with Twin Peaks since she was 11, so when she had a chance to meet the cast (including her favorite, Kyle MacLachlan) at San Diego Comic-Con, she was positively shook. Just take a look at this outtake from our interview with her, which she interrupted to geek out about her big Twin Peaks meeting:

When I caught up with Christie a week later at the 2017 summer TV Critics' Association press tour, she was still glowing from the inetraction. "I thought I was going to pass out when I met Kyle MacLachlan," she laughed during a tangent while promoting her role in Top of the Lake: China Girl. "I was talking to some other members of the cast when I became aware of this presence that moved toward me like the most graceful, silent, powerful, radiating energy monolith, and I said, 'Oh. Oh. Oh, hello.' I just lost all anything."

She then proceeded to gush over how much she's been enjoying Twin Peaks: The Return, particularly "Chapter 8." So I had to ask: why is Christie such a fan? She credits it to her mother's "incredibly diverse taste in film and television and literature," which led to her allowing her 11-year-old daughter to watch one of the most game-changing shows to ever hit TV.

"We sat down to watch it together and I loved it because it was unlike anything I had ever seen on television. I found it complicated," remembered Christie. "I remember my mom saying, 'I think this is a bit weird.' And I remember thinking, 'Yeah.' As weird and strange as I found life, because I always felt like an outsider when I was growing up, I finally saw on the screen, I didn't feel like I was being indoctrinated with a homogenized view of society that was about being successful, which I thought I could never be a part of.

"Aesthetically, I love subversion, so the idea of this noir sensibility that is turned on its head that's so weird and strange and dark and frightening but utterly beautiful," she continued. "There was also something really terrifying that connected very closely with me which was this beautiful teenage girl, Laura Palmer, being found dead and her having this secret other life that made me peer into the possibilities of what it would be like to go through adolescence and become an adult. It just really captured me. I loved that its form was entirely different to anything else I'd seen on television, and it made me laugh so, so much, which I felt was sort of wrong."

To bring the conversation back to the show she was at TCA to promote, Christie said she sees a lot of Twin Peaks in Jane Campion's Top of the Lake.

"To me, Top of the Lake has a three-dimensional quality in the way Twin Peaks does, which is that it is multi-layered, the characters are multi-dimensional and often there's a reference outside of strictly just that world," she said. "There's a reference to the modern world, there's a reference to the previous world, there are things that are almost pastiche. It's so multi-layered and multi-faceted, that is what really drew me in."

Top of the Lake: China Girl premieres for a three-night event on Sunday, September 10th and runs through Tuesday, September 12th on SundanceTV.

Terri Schwartz is Editorial Producer at IGN. Talk to her on Twitter at @Terri_Schwartz.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire